SignHealth Presentation at HUDC’s event on 5th March 2016 at St. Johns Ambulance Hall, Pinner Road, Harrow HA2 7AT
Harrow United Deaf Club was delighted to have Memnos Costi, a renowned BBC See Hear! presenter, who gave a presentation relating to his work with SignHealth, a Deaf Health Charity.
Memnos highlighted that deaf people are three times more likely to suffer due to poor access to health services compared to hearing people.
Memnos explained about the services that SignHealth offers including:
– Advocacy services, supporting deaf people to ‘speak up’ in accessing to health services.
– DeafHope, providing support for victim of domestic violence
– Supporting Deaf people with mental health
– Working with Health/ GP practices in improving deaf people’s access to health
– Campaign for better support for Deaf people in BSL – Therapy the Deaf Way (for more information can be found on www.signhealth.org.uk/i-support-therapythedeafway/)
– Introduced new mobile app for Deaf people to call NHS111 via BSL by using InterpreterNow app, enabling Deaf people to contact GP, Dentist, Fire Services as part of the Govt’s NHS Accessible Information Standards, due to be launched in July 2016.
To learn more about SignHealth, go to their website: http://www.signhealth.org.uk/